White fish has a reputation for being boring and bland, and sadly, it often is. After you make this recipe, though, you’ll never think of white fish the same way!
The fish in this dish is light and fresh, but overall the meal has plenty of depth and dimension thanks to the rest of the flavors paired with the trout!
Lemon and ghee meld together beautifully in this buttery, citrus-y sauce that “dresses up” the trout perfectly and tastes absolutely out-of-this-world!
The crispy skin and toasted almonds provide the perfect crunch to balance out the light flavors of the fish. Pair this dish with greens, asparagus, or any other vegetables you like for a complete meal! This Trout Almondine is simple, quick, packed with flavor, and sure to impress anyone. If you’re looking for a recipe that’s gluten-free, paleo, or keto-friendly to make for dinner tonight, look no further!
Paleo Trout Almondine
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 rainbow trout fillets, skin-on
- 1/4 cup ghee
- ½ cup slivered raw almonds
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Sea salt
- Place the ghee in a pan over medium heat until browned (around 2 minutes), reserving some ghee to sear the fish. Turn off the heat and whisk the browned ghee with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Salt both sides of the trout. Saute the trout in about 1 tbsp ghee until translucent on both sides. Cook the flesh side first and skin side second, about 2 minutes per side until cooked through (it should be white when fully cooked). Set cooked fish aside.
- Add the lemon ghee to the pan over medium heat, and add almonds to pan until browned (around 3-5 minutes).
- Serve sauce and almonds over the fish with minced parsley on top. Enjoy!