Two very important pieces of information to know about me:
- I’m obsessed with baking.
- I have a MAJOR sweet tooth.
I used to be a chocolate ADDICT. Like, that was my “thing,” and everyone knew it. No amount of chocolate was too much. However, over the past year or so, my taste buds have totally changed. Although I still proclaim myself to be a chocoholic, I find that some things can actually be too sweet for me nowadays. (If you know me personally, that probably comes as a huge shock to you. I’m not joking about this!) It’s gotta be that perfect balance of sweetness. Enough to satisfy my chocolate cravings but not too much that my stomach hurts and I get a gross, bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Ugh.
I also have this thing about textures. I can’t handle anything slightly chalky or dry. I like things to be fudgey, moist, soft, gooey…you get the idea. Like, I’m the kinda girl who prefers undercooked brownies to perfectly cooked brownies. Get the picture? I know it’s not for everyone, but IT’S WHAT I LIKE.
If there is one thing that I am completely and utterly obsessed with, though, it’s COCONUT. I put it in everything. EVERYTHING.
I was craving something gooey and fudgey and warm and yummy this weekend, and then I found out that it’s National Chocolate Chip Day! Is there a better excuse to whip up a recipe in the kitchen? I think not! Aaaaand the final result was EXACTLY what I wanted. Chocolate fudge muffins. With chocolate chips. And coconut. YES. Don’t be alarmed if you’re not a coconut person. The coconut is VERY subtle. My roommate hates coconut and she was totally into these.
These don’t look like Betty Crocker perfect muffins because they’re flourless, hence the fudgey texture (my fave). I don’t really care if they’re not shaped perfectly, though, because they taste like gooey chocolate fudge coconut heaven. NOM. Imperfection is perfection.
These are SO simple, SO quick, and have no offensive ingredients. Which is very important to me because of my stomach probs. These are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and vegan. FUN FOR EVERYONE. Oooey, gooey, and oh so chewy! WHOA.
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes 8 muffins
Flourless Chocolate Coconut Fudge Muffins (GF/Vegan)
1/2 cup Almond Butter (or any other nut butter of your choice)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 Flax eggs (3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds + 9 Tbsp water)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup vegan & gluten-free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325*F. Grease a muffin tray with coconut oil.
- Make your flax eggs. To make, combine the flaxseeds and water in a bowl, mix together, and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- After the flax eggs have set and have a gel-like consistency, take them out of the fridge. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together. It’s gonna be THICK!
- Plop a bit of the batter into 8 of the muffin tray slots. These are going to be bite-sized, so don’t expect them to fill up the muffin tins.
- Pop ’em in the oven for about 10 minutes. Take them out and let them cool for about 15 minutes. They probably won’t LOOK like they’re cooked, but trust me, they are. You want a fudgey consistency, and because they’re flourless, they won’t look like a typical muffin.
- After the muffins have cooled, remove them from the tray and enjoy! Try not to eat them all in one sitting…Or maybe do. These are the BEST fresh out da oven when they’re still warm, so I highly encourage you not to wait too long.
I’m kind of chocolate-high right now because I literally just ate these. If you decide to try them, let me know what you think & definitely tag me in any pics (@addicted_to_lovely) so I can see your beautiful chocolate creations. I’m debating trying these with a healthified version of Nutella in place of the almond butter because I think that would be BOMB. If you make any fabulous subs, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how they turned out!