It’s finally starting to feel more like summer in San Diego as the rain stops and the sun peeks out. As the weather warms up, it’s the perfect time for lighter, cooling foods and sweet flavors!
When I think of summer, I think of smoothies, salads, lemonade, and fruit! I personally hardly ever eat fruit, but summer is the one time of year when my craving strikes!
When you’re craving fruit, there’s nothin’ quite like a good jam. Most jams at the store are pumped with artificial flavors or refined sugar, but a well-made jam doesn’t need anything “extra” to make the flavors pop.
I’m all about homemade jam for a few reasons. First of all, it tends to be much healthier! You know exactly what’s going in it, and you don’t have to worry about there being any sneaky ingredients or unnecessary added sugar.
Second, it tastes so much better. Everything tastes better homemade, but especially jam! It tastes much fresher than anything you’ll find at the store, and that allows the natural fruit flavors to shine through.
Third, it’s a fun activity and a great gift! Making jam is so simple to do, and it’s an easy summer activity that you can turn into a gift for yourself or someone else. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t love the gift of homemade, refined sugar-free jam!
This Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Jam is the perfect way to switch it up this summer! It’s tangy but sweet, and not your average blueberry or blackberry. If you’ve always wondered what you could do with rhubarb, this is the perfect simple recipe to test the waters. The sweet strawberries compliment the tartness of the rhubarb perfectly!
You can eat this jam by the spoon, or put it on gluten-free toast, on a bagel, in a coconut wrap, over “oatmeal“, or even on a smoothie bowl! I highly recommend making a PB&J or AB&J with this stuff – so delicious. It’s the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without a full-on dessert!
All you need to do is throw a few ingredients in a pot and let the simmering do it’s work to thicken up the mixture! This jam will become a new family favorite, and maybe even a new summer tradition! It’s paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar free. How do you like to use jam?!
Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Total Time: 1 hour
Yields: 16 oz
- 3 cups rhubarb, peeled and sliced (about 3 stalks)
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey
- Put all ingredients in a pot with a lid. Bring everything to a boil, and then reduce the heat to simmer (light bubbles).
- Take the lid off the pot and simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until thickened. You’ll know it’s thick enough when it thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon and doesn’t drip off.
- Add the jam to a sterile mason jar. Secure the lid and allow the jam to sit at room temperature until it’s cooled.
- Store the jam at room temperature until you open it, and then store it in the fridge.